“There is a vitality, a life-force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through into action and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and be lost”. – Martha Graham
To obtain true holistic wellbeing you need to know who you are. Knowing who you are can be said to be apart of life’s journey that may well continue for the rest of your life, but to have an awareness and basic knowledge of yourself is imperative, as it gives you a great sense of grounding and confidence. This is the core foundation of your existence and the essential thread that weaves everything together.
Who am I? This is a question that we ask ourselves at least once in our lifetime (some ask it at least once every week), but many often or not fail to find a truly satisfying answer. Our own existence of who we are simply gets pushed to the side because we are to busy or it quite simply demands one to think so deeply that it rattles one’s mind. In order to attempt to answer this question I believe you must first ask yourself three sub-questions.
- Where do you come from?
- What do you care about?
- What are you doing now?
Let us tackle these questions very personally and really break down our answers. You can use any medium to do so (i.e. note pad, drawings, typing, dictaphone, etc).
Question 1: Where do you come from?
- The cosmos is still expanding – I am expanding
- The Galaxy is one of many within the cosmos – I am from the cosmos
- The solar system is one of many within the Milky Way galaxy
- Earth is a planet within a solar system – I belong to the solar system
- We are all creatures of earth – I belong to earth
- I come from my parents
- Both my parent’s were born in England
- Family on my mother’s side come from Jamaica, and their ancestors from Africa
- Family on my father’s side have a mixed heritage of English, Welsh and Dutch roots
- From my simple response you can already see that not only have I identified myself with several cultural backgrounds, but more significantly as part of a wider evolving existence of the cosmos. I have unbound myself from simply referring to myself as Barry from London.
I am a human being of the cosmos encompassing all of its elements. I am the cosmos expanding and attempting to evolve. From stardust to birth, whether it be by nature or Godly powers, I am a unique once-in-a-life-time human being with diverse heritage and complex emotions. I am evolving and expanding, and embody the creation of all that is in existence. My current physical form which radiates light into the cosmos is steeped in rich earth cultural history with roots stretching across England, the Netherlands, Wales, the Caribbean island of Jamaica and right back into earth’s motherland, Africa. I was socially conditioned by poverty and predominantly Afro-Caribbean heritage, and environmentally conditioned by British politics and the streets of Hackney, London.
By approaching this question with a holistic perspective rather than through the immediate physical reality of my existence, enables me to realise and embrace that I am apart of something that is forever evolving beyond the boundaries of earth. This knowledge and awareness adds depth to the very idea of who I am and where I am going…
To finish reading this chapter and explore questions two and three, and the chapter’s related practical exercises, buy the Replug YOU book:
+ Buy on Amazon: Kindle Edition (£2.04)