Allow me to be clear from the outset. I am both for and against some parts of the concept relating to Indigo Children. Whilst I agree that the idea of Indigo Children can be classed as a pseudoscientific New Age concept with elements of the Forer effect, I would also question the very idea of science itself for the study of matter is in itself only quantifiable of that which can be visually seen. Many things that are interconnected with spirituality (the mind, ego, emotions, etc) can not be quantified by science. Most scientists have abandoned spirituality in the place of rationality and reason, but I believe that unless scientists can truly approach their research with an holistic spiritual mindset, then the grandest of questions and experiences of humanity and the cosmos will never be answered nor felt. My comments are in Indigo, so as to differentiate what I have sourced from the Internet, and that which I have written myself.
Indigo children are said to be those who are believed to represent a higher state of human evolution. The term itself is a reference to the belief that such children have an indigo coloured aura. The colour indigo represents the chakra of the third eye, which is associated with intuition, enlightenment, out-of-body experiences and in some cases paranormal abilities such as seeing angels, spirits or deceased loved ones (the latter is quite debatable. I believe our minds are quite set in this physical world of earth and any such spirit or energy that we feel/engage with, we ourselves create a visualisation of it). They are highly empathic, possessing the ability to discern what others are thinking and feeling. Thus they have the ability to know when someone is being authentic, honest and truthful.
Indigo children are highly sensitive beings with a clear sense of self-definition and a strong feeling that they need to make a significant difference in the world. They are strong-willed, independent thinkers who prefer to be self-guided rather than directed by others.
They are unique in the way they see things and will not conform in order to fit into society. Indigo’s possess wisdom and a high level of awareness “beyond their years.” When you look into their eyes you can see that they are old souls, and wise ones. They can be very outspoken, speaking to an Indigo is like talking to a miniature adult of sorts! – Hmmm… you will have to ask my family how I was when I was younger, but I think perhaps my Indigo chakra if-you-like sprouted later in my youth.
It is said that they are often diagnosed with Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder (ADHD), Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD), Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), Dyslexia, autism (crystal child) and Learning Disabilities, they have a tendency to become unsociable when not around others of like mind. Hmmm… this itself could be quite a dangerous claim and assumption on two accounts. Firstly, this may give parents or an individual reason to believe they are in fact an Indigo Child and refuse any sort of help and guidance. Not all professionals conspire to destroy your existence, and secondly, it slightly claims with the use of the word ‘often’ that mainly those with an apparent disorder or disability are capable of being an Indigo Child. Well, at least that’s how I read it. Personally, I don’t believe in ADHD/ADD, I just simply think a person who is labelled with these dogmatic title is quite simply more active and sporadic. Their energies need to be channeled differently than how everything and everyone is thought we should be within society.
An Indigo Child (or adult I may add) is also prone to depression and sleep disorders such as insomnia and persistent nightmares. Indigo’s tend to be more visual, kinesthetic learners so remember best what they can picture in their brain and create with their hands. They are highly energetic people so movement is required to keep them better focused. They love to talk and explain things. They tend to be very animated and dramatic. They have a very difficult time sitting still unless they are doing something they find valuable (Hmmm… a bit general).
The Indigo’s life purpose is to bring awareness that the old systems no longer work and rally for change. They possess a low tolerance for people and systems that are not authentic and authority without a good cause or reason. They become very angry, frustrated and will act out if they sense injustice. Because they are so highly sensitive they tend to a have lot of allergies to foods, and environmental toxins, and this can cause them to become off balanced easily (you can start to throw everything else into-the-mix also). Indigo’s need to learn how to maintain balance in their lives.
When surrounded by a lot of negativity, anger, loud, noisy places and things of this sort, they will become imbalanced and will absorb the negativity and begin to act out in an angry way or become very introverted and have difficulty coming out of their shell. The characteristics and attributes of the Indigo and Crystal Child may apply to any age range . There were souls that elected to come to the planet early on to feel things out (I do question what the source of this information is – it’s a general claim – is it collective knowledge amongst all Indigo Children? If so, let’s go deeper and have a detailed description of who/what we were elected from and where we came from). An example would be in the 60’s when the flower children and hippies were prevalent. To a large part many of these individuals eventually chose to conform to societies standards, however, the Indigo’s of this generation aren’t as willing to comply. The challenge today is for parents, teachers, and society to rethink how things are done.
If you, as an adult or parent resonate with this information, you very well may be a parent, adolescent, young adult or adult Indigo or Crystal being. Please know that you are not alone in experiencing feelings of isolation and frustration, feeling as if you don’t belong or fit in (on this planet, in society, in your family, community, work, etc.) There are many soul and family groups coming together at this time to band in unison to re-member.
It’s important to keep in mind that the Indigo, Crystal and Blue rays are highly sensitive people. By identifying your attributes and characteristics isn’t meant to label, single out or make them more important or significant than anyone else on this planet, because in truth we are all equally important and valuable. The value in identifying your origin or the origin of your child is to come to a realizations and understanding so that you can take the proper and necessary steps in caring for yourself and your children to make life more at ease and joyful.
Ten (errrm, eleven) Attributes of the Indigo Child
1. They come into the world with a feeling of royalty (and often act like it). Right, so the apparent enlightened ones with the support of this statement appear to be no different from those who feel they can and should rule over others.
2. They have a feeling of “deserving to be here,” and are surprised when others don’t share that. Yes, we all have a right to inhabit this planet and all its nature should be shared equally.
3. Self-worth is not a big issue. They often tell the parents “who they are.” – I was often quite frank with my parents, but not rude.
4. They have difficulty with absolute authority (authority without explanation or choice) – Yes (when I say yes, I mean I agree and this relates to me).
5. They simply will not do certain things; for example, waiting in line is difficult for them – Disagree with this example. Learning to be still and waiting within yourself is an important evolution of oneself.
6. They get frustrated with systems that are ritually oriented and don’t require creative thought – Yes.
7. They often see better ways of doing things, both at home and in school, which makes them seem like “system busters” (nonconforming to any system) – Yes.
8. They seem antisocial unless they are with their own kind. If there are no others of like consciousness around him or her, they often turn inward; feeling like no other human understands them. – Yes, to some degree – though they can be quite adaptable. Not everyone is ready to be on the path to consciousness, and nor should they be judged for it. However, as Indigo Children, we can show others little by little by actions, careful thought and choice of words.
9. School is often extremely difficult for them socially. – Disagree. Whilst I was highly spiritual as a child/teenager, I still enjoyed socialising with all types of people. This statement is quite general.
10. They will not respond to “guilt” discipline (“Wait till your father gets home and finds out what you did”) – Depends on the age, circumstance and level of awareness.
11. They are not shy in letting you know what they need – This could relate to anybody, such as the child who is constantly spoiled.
Other Characteristics Of The Indigo Child
adapted from: The Care and Feeding of Indigo Children written by Doreen Virtue, PhD. Hay House, 2001.
- Highly sensitive, impulsive and intuitive – Yes
- High sense of truth and integrity – Yes
- Sensitive to toxins (food, water, cleaning supplies, relationships) – Hmmm… fluidity that changes
- Link to ADD/ADHD
- Strong willed – Yes
- Born in 1978 or later – Yes
- Head strong – Yes
- Creative with an artistic flair for music, jewelry making, poetry, writing, art, etc. – Yes
- Prone to addictions – errm… what kind of addications… toxic chocolate, hard core drugs…?
- An old soul, as if they are 15 going on 43 – Yes – always felt my mindset was older and as such had no problems conversing and making friends with people much older than myself
- Intuitive or psychic possible with the history of seeing angels or deceased people
- Isolationist either through aggressive acting out or through fragile introversion
- Independent and proud, even if constantly asking you for money – Independent, yes, but asking for money?
- Possess a deep desire to help the world in a big way – Yes, to some degree. Ripples in a pond
- Wavers between low self-esteem and grandiosity
- Bores easily – Yes, sometimes – but depends on what it is I am doing
- Has probably been diagnosed as having ADD or ADHD
- Prone to insomnia, restless sleep, nightmares, or difficulty/fear of fall asleep – When I was younger, nightmares definitely – but was able to awake myself always
- History of depression or suicidal thoughts or attempts – Yes – everyone gets depressed at some stage in their life on this planet. It’s a human process
- Looks for real, deep, and lasting friendships – Yes
- Easily bonds with plants and animals – Yes
- Highly telepathic/mind reading – Yes, though mind reading comes and goes in short and long spans with years apart.
- Need to have a purpose and sense of meaning for what they do – Yes
- Instant creators – picture what they want in their head and get it
The Life Purpose of the Indigo Child
- To usher in the new age of peace – Yes
- Change the world as future leaders or healers/teachers/entrepreneurs – Yes
- Will lead with a higher consciousness – Yes
- Highly telepathic/intuitive (less need for verbal communication; they can read a person’s energy and get a clear understanding of what they are about, what needs to be learned, what direction to proceed.) – Yes
- Must find a meaning and purpose for what they are asked to do (rather than reinventing the wheel, they want to advance our planet.) – Yes
1. You feel ancient to the core, as though you have existed forever. – Yes
2. You are soul tired, and simply want to go ‘home’. – Hmmm… this is home also, is not? An extension of our existence.
3. You remember what home feels like even if you can’t verbalize it.
4. You felt unique as a child, as though no one else was like you, it felt like there was them (humanity) and you. You may have even felt special or lofty regardless of your social stature. – Yes, but certainly not special or lofty. Just in a different state of existence and being. I’ve always felt different to my biological immediate family
5. From as far back as your earliest memory, your life has been littered with paranormal and psychic experiences. This may have manifested as: seeing ghosts, or other entities, seeing inte-rdimensionally or into other times, seeing beyond the illusion, reading others thoughts, dreams that came true, UFO sightings and much much more. – Yes, but not all of that.
6. Your empathetic gifts are so strong it can almost be too much at times. – Yes, men to do cry.
7. Your body functions differently to others. It is more finely tuned and has a habit of reacting unlike other peoples. Doctors are often stumped by you and a natural lifestyle is imperative to your good health.
8. You are very intelligent, but not necessarily interested in academics. – Yes, I like to think so. I more into self-education.
9. You struggle to find what you want to do with your life because nothing in this reality really intrigues you enough to be dedicated to it. A part of you remembers so much more that life here is almost banal.
10. You have trouble being in touch with your body, or its limitations frustrate you, because you remember far more freedom. Part of you feels you should be able to fly, teleport or instantaneously manifest. Haha, most boys felt like this when they were younger right?
11. You have known since you were very tiny that you had a purpose or a mission to fulfill, even though the details may be elusive. – Yes
12. You have an extraordinary dream life, and waking life seems dull in comparison.
13. Others are often wary of you, and you were most likely singled out as a child and bullied or ignored. Friends were and are often few and far between. People instinctually know you are different even if they don’t understand why. – Yes
14. You can read people, they don’t even necessarily have to speak, you can just feel who they are, which is why you cannot be lied to. You see beyond the facade, and that makes people uncomfortable around you. – Yes
15. Babies and small children are often drawn to you, something about you fascinates them. – Yes
16. Animals tend to trust you, and you have a natural understanding of their wants and needs, as though you can communicate on some level. – Yes
17. Conversation frustrates you because you know what the other person is going to say long before they say it. Often you appear rude in conversation, either appearing disinterested or butting in and answering the question before it is completed. – Yes and no – quite general this statement
18. Some may describe you as aloof, but when they get to know you, you are actually incredibly warm and loving.
19. You have created certain protective elements to survive in society because you find being around people quite hard, even painful at times, and you can only handle large crowds of people in very brief doses. – Yes, definitely when I was younger, but I am more open and fluid now
20. You are aware that you are an inter-dimensional ascended being here to assist humanity at this time, and you may have some memories of your incarnations on this earth, leading up to this time. This knowledge is within you.
21. You have natural healing abilities, whether it be with your hands or through the comfort you give with your words. – Yes
22. You often find random strangers tell you their problems and friends seek you out for counsel, even from when you were very young. – Yes
23. You were advanced as a young child, speaking, reading, walking earlier than normal.
24. Some may have described you as a precocious child, you weren’t afraid to speak your mind. – Yes
25. You have had trouble sleeping most of your life, whether it was due to insomnia or to fears that reared their head at night. Visions you see at night don’t help the sleeplessness.
26. You have felt great despair or depression in your life, often connected to a desire to want to go home. Life here feels so very wrong. – Yes and no. Home will come when it comes. Life on earth is but a grain of sand in all that is
27. You have difficulty comprehending why you would want to spend your life working at something you hate, so that you can spend all your money paying off your debts so that you can be like everyone else with the cool car and the mortgage. None of this makes any sense to you. You’d rather be poor than a slave to the system. People may view you as a drop out or lazy, but that has nothing to do with it. – Yes
28. You often feel connected to another place or time, and long for something deeper in your life. – Yes
29. You have an understanding of the divine beyond books, beyond religion, even if you can’t put it into words. Spirituality is part of you, it is inseparable and not learned but definitely built upon. You didn’t wake up to your spiritual self, because your spirituality has always been an intrinsic part of your nature. – Yes
30. You know that your origins are not human. – Yes
The truth is we are all Indigo Children, and once we re-awaken this knowledge within ourselves we can move forward as a collective. Definitely since the introduction of the internet and freedom of movement across the globe people are becoming more aware. When I was younger, I rarely bumped into people that were awake and connected to nature, but now we/they are everywhere. Perhaps that’s says something about me or it really is a sign of the changing mindset across the globe and in the younger generations.